Senior mechanical design engineer
Terracon seeks to appoint a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer who will be responsible for the planning, organisation and directions of projects from concept through to design, prototyping, manufacturing, testing and commissioning while ensuring that products meet established internal quality standards as well as customer specifications. You will be required to explore problems & develop solutions in the form of innovative products which go beyond the customers needs and deliver an exceptional customer experience, ensuring project deadlines are met in conjunction with sales & revenue targets.
- Work to continuously develop improvements to company products, giving expert advice and giving input to recommendations for appropriate timing for introduction to the marketplace.
- Demonstrates and promotes excellent levels of innovation and quality on all design solutions, researching and remaining abreast of industry developments with regard to manufacturing capabilities, technology and components/parts.
- Demonstrates excellent project management skills, from conception, design, support build to installation, proactively manage own time, others time and resources to ensure adherence to the agreed project milestones and budget. Keeps the Engineering Manager abreast of risks, taking action to resolve issues.
- Works in partnership with the sales team, giving technical advice, giving input into technical specifications, resolving technical issues and participating in on-site visits as required.
- Demonstrates excellent programme management skills, with the ability to manage multi project deadlines.
- Participate and coordinate where necessary in meetings with the Senior Management and Engineering team to ensure effective communication and teamwork regarding live projects and potential continuous improvement initiatives.
- Give feedback, advice and recommendations to the Management team, making business cases, influencing and displaying expert knowledge.
- Produce project status reports and other information as required by the Engineer Manager or Senior Management Team, attending and presenting information at meetings as necessary.
- Build and maintain relationships with other internal departments to ensure strong communication and partnership working to achieve results.
- Display exceptional customer relationship management skills meeting clients/colleagues to discuss design briefs – presenting ideas/solution to new clients to win contracts, in partnership with the sales team.
- Attend meetings as required with the Senior Management Team, giving input, feedback and presenting information as required to feed into the culture of continuous improvement.
- Manage all projects in line with TERRACON policies and procedures, quality standards and relevant health and safety and legislative requirements, revising, giving input and updating processes and procedures as required in partnership with the Health and Safety Officer.
- Build relationships with Suppliers ensuring design is in accordance with manufacturing capabilities.
- Review and revise policy, procedures and standards in order to clearly reflect any new working methods and systems.
- Ensure that all intellectual property acquired or developed during the course of a project is protected in the best interests of the company and manage the company’s Intellectual Property Rights.
- Supports the Engineering team to produce Layout, civil & fabrication drawings on a CAD system, auditing and verifying drawings ensure they meet the required design processes, procedures and checklists.
- Attend relevant trade shows, exhibitions and corporate events as required.
- Build and maintain external relationships with universities, institutes or other organisations for the purpose of acquiring new knowledge or access.
- Any other duties as required in accordance with business needs.